Friday, April 5, 2013

Easter Lamb Pt 2

-
As far as I know, they don't make bumper stickers, or T-shirts with clever sayings, geared toward food bloggers.   If  they did, I'm positive the number one best selling truism would be, "When the family comes over for holiday dinner, the roast doesn't get photographed."  Between visiting with siblings & in-laws and entertaining the little ones with drawings of their favorite superheroes, pictures for blogs fall by the wayside.

Nevertheless, the Roasted Boneless Leg of Lamb recipe, from part 1 of this special Easter entry, turned out fairly well.  I do think my oven got a bit hotter than it was set for, because the meat finished on the well side of the medium range.   Although the roast retained little pink, it was still quite tender and moist with juices.  The cloves, parsley, and other seasonings provided the meat with a pleasant herbaceous flavor, just right for spring time.

 photo eolahills2011.jpgGuests brought delightful side dishes, including Creamy Mushroom Risotto, an Vegetable/Herb Medley featuring roasted Eggplant & Red Peppers, and a Lamb/Polenta Dish, none of which I have the recipe for, but which were hits nonetheless.

As I said last time,"I chose two Oregon Pinot Noirs (**NV Rascal & 2011 Eola Hills) to accompany the meal."  Not enough people wanted wine to justify opening both bottles, so my brother and I opened the $10.68 2011 Eola Hills Pinot Noir and saved the $7.68 NV Rascal for another time.  
(Wine prices reflect those at my local WinCo Grocery Store.)

Self described as, "Cane berries, red cherries and a touch of smoke on the finish leaves you wanting another sip," the Eola Hills conveyed a hint of cherry up front and the deep flavor of smoke on the finish.   Other than that, I mostly tasted strong notes of black pepper, and other spice, which complimented the lamb nicely.  All in all, I'd give the Eola Hills 88 out of 100 points.

What did you eat & drink for Easter?   How was it?  Leave your comments below.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment