Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Frustrated By Commercials

-
That thar TV tells me;

Chilis is featuring a 10 oz. Honey-Chipotle Shrimp & Sirloin - "100% USDA Choice sirloin with chile spices, topped with seared honey-chipotle glazed shrimp & chopped green onions on a bed of asparagus & garlic roasted tomatoes, with homestyle fries on the side,"

TGI Friday's offers Bourbon Barrel Mahi Mahi - "Perfectly seasoned with hickory-smoked sea salt fire-grilled over bourbon-soaked planks for a smoky vanilla sweetness that brings out the natural flavor in every bite. Served with two choice sides,"

Joe's Crab Shack is promoting Charbroiled Oysters - "Broiled Parmesan & garlic butter,"

Doritos is experimenting with Poppin' Jalapeno tortilla chips,

Photo Courtesy of Amazon's Affiliate Program.

and Lay's is test marketing a Smoked Gouda & Chive potato chip.

What irks me is the fact that I can't taste any of these offerings.  I live in Beaverton, Oregon, and the  closest of the three listed restaurants is Joe's Crab Shack in VANCOUVER, WASHINGTON, 21.8 MILES AWAY!  The other two restaurants, as near as I can tell, have left Oregon & Washington completely.  Yet, I'm constantly subjected to commercials tempting me to visit these places.

Likewise, when I watch my stories, I see multiple ads for both kinds of chips.  Being a fan of smoked Gouda and jalapenos, I wanted to try these snacks.  After searching for the flavors on my own, with no success, I visited Frito Lay's snack finder for a list of stores, in my area, which were selling the chips.  None of the stores on the map carried either variety.

With today's technology, targeting specific markets with specific advertisements is no real trick.  So, why are companies buying commercial time in my area to market products which aren't available here?  It makes no sense.  I might as well be seeing commercials for the Montgomery Flea Market, in Alabama, during prime time TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment