Thursday, April 11, 2019

Is Bohae Matchsoon Plum Wine Plum Delicious?

-
The other night, I decided to Grubhub some Sushi (Salmon Nigirizushi, Surf Clam Nigirizushi, Tuna Nigirizushi, Masako Gunkanmaki) for supper.  Is Grubhubbing a verb?  Anyway, to go with my seafood and rice, I bought a 375 milliliter bottle of Bohae Matchsoon Plum Wine for around $5.


| Subject: Bohae Matchsoon Plum Wine | Date: 04/11/2019 |
| Photographers: James Kiester & Dani Cogswell |
Apparently, Matchsoon plum wine is made from a selection of Korean plums, and is then matured for 5 years to produce an aperitif of 14% alcohol.

I had no idea what to expect, which is half the fun, so I poured myself a very small glass, 1.5 ounces (44 milliliters).   The color was a translucent brown, akin to whiskey.  The aroma was that of sweet plums.

As I took the first sip, the sweet taste of thick plum syrup hit me up front, followed by an alcohol burn on the finish.  I wasn't, initially, a fan.  Part way through the meal, I added soy sauce to my salmon and tuna Nigirizushi.  When I took another drink, I discovered the extra saltiness helped mellow the syrupy notes of the wine, making for a more pleasant sip.

On an incidental note, while I drank relatively little, it gave me the second strongest wine buzz of my life, mead being the strongest.

If Bohae Matchsoon Plum Wine is enjoyed alongside salty savory food, it's an enjoyable beverage.  All things considered, I’d give this wine 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment