However, there was a problem. Their recipe makes a batch of six drinks, and to quote George Thorogood, "I drink alone, yeah, with nobody else. You know when I drink alone, I prefer to be by myself."
The magazine's writers also used bacon flavored vodka and store bought pepper bacon in their version of the drink.
To save money and reduce waste, I used non-flavored Monopolowa Vodka, which I already had on hand, made a piece of pepper bacon, and reduced the recipe to make a single cocktail.
I also replaced the tomato juice with V8 simply because V8 has more flavor. For a take on Clams Casino, one could also use Clamato.
While I didn't miss the bacon flavored vodka, you can click here and follow the directions to infuse your own vodka with bacon flavor. I simply didn't go to the trouble. The result was still a salty refreshing drink with good kicks of spice & smoke as well as a strong vodka flavor.
- 3/4 Cup tomato juice, V8, or Clamato
- 1/4 Cup vodka
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash Celery salt
- 1 dash Ground pepper for drink + more for bacon
- 2.5 tbsp. Hot pepper sauce (I use Tabasco, but any hot sauce will do as long as it's not thick like Sriracha)
- 1 tsp Horseradish
- 1 stalk of celery (for garnish)
- 1 THIN slice of bacon (for garnish)
- Choose a thin slice of bacon to fry up and coat it liberally with fresh ground pepper.
- Fry the bacon over medium heat for 9 to 11 minutes until crisp, and drain bacon on a paper towel.
- Build the liquid ingredients in an 8 ounce glass (over ice cubes if preferred).
- Stir well.
- Add the seasonings to taste.
- Stir again.
- Garnish with bacon and celery stalk.