Friday, September 26, 2014

I Love You Pulled Pork, But Stay Off My Burger

-
Pulled pork is a method of cooking a tough cut of pork, usually the shoulder, which allows the meat to become tender enough to be "pulled", or easily broken into individual pieces. The meat is seasoned with a BBQ rub and/or sauce, then cooked slowly at low temperatures (8 to 12 hours at 225°F) to break down the connective tissue and eliminate toughness.
Carls Jr BBQ Pulled Pork Cheeseburger
Subject: Carl's Jr.'s/Hardees' Memphis BBQ Pulled Pork Cheeseburger | Source: Carl's Jr.'s/Hardees' Press Release |

While I love pulled pork, as such, I have to say, I hate these Pulled Pork Burgers which are popping up all over the place. Famous Dave's BBQ has one, Carl's Jr./Hardy's has one, Burger King has one, and yesterday Wendy's told the press they'll adding one to their menu.

Essentially, these are sandwiches with a burger patty, pulled pork, cheddar cheese, and barbecue sauce, all topped with Cole Slaw, deep fried jalapeƱo peppers, or onion rings.

Keep in mind, I love bacon on a burger, it adds a smoky saltiness which one simply can’t get any other way. However, bacon is THE ONLY OTHER meat I want on my burger.

I’ve had a few of these Pulled Pork Burgers. The thick layer of sauce drenched pork, atop the beef patty, initially tastes good. The sandwich is so heavy with meat though, that after the forth bite the sandwich becomes a laborious chore to finish.

Ignoring the portion which winds up on one’s lap, because the thing is so messy, one is forced to either leave part of the burger uneaten or spend the rest of the day feeling stuffed and bloated.

Give me a simple cheeseburger, or a delicious pulled pork sandwich, any day. Just leave them separate please.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment