Monday, July 16, 2018

Is McDonald's Bacon Smokehouse Burger Really Smokin'?

-
I should begin by addressing the elephant in the room. I've reviewed a lot of burgers lately, making this blog's content a bit burger heavy. In fact, I've written enough pieces on burgers to justify adding "Burgers" as a tagged category over in the right hand column.

They're what people eat.  According to The 2016 Burger Report, "the average consumer still eats a burger 5.3 times in a month."  Of course I will still write about cheese, wine, and gourmet fare when I can, but if I want to appeal to a wide audience I have to talk about what people like to eat, and that's burgers.


| Subject: McDonald's Bacon Smokehouse Burger |
| Date: 07/09/2018 | Photographers: James Kiester & Edward Kiester|

Being a lover of bacon, when I heard about McDonald's new Bacon Smokehouse Burger (Applewood smoked bacon, bacon-onion sauce, white cheddar, sweet mustard sauce, and fried onion strings) I had to give it a try.

I bought the single all beef patty version of the sandwich from my local McDonald's at 19525 SW TV HWY in Aloha, Oregon. I could have ordered the double, but, with fries, the single seemed like it would be enough food for me.

When I opened the box, I noticed the soft bun and the bacon protruding out the sides right off the bat. A second glance revealed the presence of the crispy fried onions and mustard sauce.   I was excited. The burger looked like a winner.

Texture wise, this burger had it in abundance. The golden friend onion strings and the crisp bacon both added a nice crunch to sandwich. They were doing their job in that respect. However, the real test was the flavor.

The mustard sauce was tangy and sweet. While it was delicious it was almost all I could taste. I could taste the bacon a little but the onions provided no real flavor. As for the bacon-onion sauce it might as well have not been there, it added nothing to the burger.

When a burger is called "Smokehouse" one expects a solid punch of smoky flavor. I just didn't get that. This burger should be called the Bacon-Sweet Mustard Burger so people know what they are getting going in. As a smoky burger, the smoky flavor isn't coming to the party. All in all I give the Bacon Smokehouse Burger a 6 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment