Monday, February 18, 2019

McDonald's Goes Bacon + The Elephant In The Room

-
For a limited time, McDonald’s is adding bacon to their Quarter Pounder with Cheese ($5.29), Big Mac ($5.19), and new Cheesy Bacon Fries ($3.15).  Being a lover of bacon, I visited my local McDonald's at 19525 SW Tualatin Valley Hwy in Aloha, Oregon.

| Subject: McDonald's Big Mac with Bacon & Cheesy Bacon Fries |
| Date: 02/15/2019 | Photographers: James Kiester & Dani Cogswell |

As much as I love my readers, and I do love my readers,  I was not going to buy both burgers for this review.  I chose to go with their flagship burger, the Big Mac, and their Cheesy Bacon Fries.

We all know what a normal Big Mac tastes like.  The bacon added a nice salty crunch to their sweetness of their special sauce, and made the classic burger that much better.  I give the Big Mac with bacon 8/10 stars. 

 The Cheesy Bacon Fries came in one size only, in a closable box.  The shoestring fries were covered in a warm cheddar sauce and bacon bits.  McDonald's fries are my favorite fast food French fry, bar none. They're crispy, salty, and delicious sticks of joy.  The cheese sauce had a good molten cheese flavor, but also brought salt to the party.  Then the bacon bits added even more salt.  I wanted to like these fries, but it was salt on salt on salt.  There was no balance to their dish.  I can only give the Cheesy Bacon Fries 6/10 stars.  

I applaud McDonald's for bringing bacon to the game.  However, they have a couple kinks to iron out.  Once they find a way to add a little balance, these items would be a welcome part of their regular menu.

The Elephant In The Room

Ten years ago when I began this blog, I focused on cheese, wine, and gourmet fare.  Just now, I wrote my third hamburger review in the last two months.  So what happened?  I don't blame you for asking.

While I love a good smoked gouda and a glass of Moscato, the truth of the matter is more people eat chain & fast food than gourmet fare.  I still plan to talk about the good stuff once in a while, but I have to talk about what the masses actually eat.  

No comments:

Post a Comment