Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Is Burger King's Impossible Whopper Impossibly Good?

-
A few months ago, Carl’s Jr. came out with a fast food veggie burger. Since I’ve never had a decent burger at Carl's Jr., I didn't bother to try it. Recently, Burger King came out with a veggie burger of its own. I’ve never been a vegetarian, nor do I ever plan to become one. However, I understand people adopt the life style for health and/or ethical reasons. My own ten-year-old nephew doesn't want to see animals killed, so he’s adopted the life style. Therefore, out of curiosity, I decided to try their plant based Impossible Burger.

Before I tried the burger, I did some research. Rather than developing their own veggie patty, Burger King is using one invented by Impossible Foods, thus the name Impossible Burger. According to Impossible Foods' Website, their plant based burger patty is made from, "Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), and Vitamin B12."

| Subject: Burger King's Impossible Whopper |
| Date: 08/14/2019 | Photographers: James Kiester & Dani Cogswell |
Once I knew what was in the thing, I visited my local Burger King at 18975 SW Tualatin Valley Hwy. in Aloha, Oregon. For $5.59, I received a Whopper sized sandwich with a veggie patty, pickles, onions, mayonnaise, and ketchup. I had them hold the lettuce and tomato to suit my personal taste, and I had them hold the cheese to keep it pescatarian. I could’ve gone straight vegan by sacrificing the mayonnaise, but I was only willing to go so far for the sake of my blog. I like my mayo!

I noticed two things when I opened the sandwich to photograph the contents. First, the patty was a solid brownish gray color with no visible grill marks. If they flame broiled this puppy they missed a,.. I say, they missed a spot. Secondly, but arguably more disturbing, the patty had an indentation as if someone had bitten into it.

Nevertheless, I decided to close the burger and have my lunch. Well, I had part of my lunch. When I got home I realized there were no fries in the bag. Leo Getz was right about the drive thru.

It didn't taste bad. The pickles, onions, mayonnaise, and ketchup all did their jobs and tasted good. While the vegetable patty chewed like beef, it didn't bring anything to the flavor party. The reason I go to Burger King is because I like the grilled taste of their beef. This patty merely served as a platform for toppings. Therefore, I can only give Burger King’s Impossible Whopper 6 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment