Sunday, September 1, 2019

Good Eats Is Still Good Viewing

-
If you've read my Culinary FAQ, and shame on you if you haven't, you know that I list Good Eats as the best instructional cooking show, bar none. Not only do I enjoy the way Alton Brown talks about the history & science behind the foods he’s cooking, but we have the same off-beat sense of humor, which my assistant, Dani, will attest to. If I can't make her roll her eyes at least once a day I’m falling down on So, as you read this, you should keep that bias in mind. -

| Subject: Alton Brown & Me At Powerful Books In Beaverton, Oregon |
| Date: 10/11/2016 | Photographer: Alton Brown's assistant with my camera |

| Note: I debated whether to use this picture or not, but I figured so many of my
 readers already know I'm in a wheelchair that I'm not going to hide it anymore. |

Last November, I wrote about a show called Good Eats: Reloaded.  In that show, Alton Brown reexamined past episodes of Good Eats and tweaked recipes which, in retrospect, could’ve been better.  This isn’t that.

On August, 25th, 2019, Food Network began airing two all new episodes, at 10:00 pm & 10:30 pm, under the banner, “Good Eats: The Return.”  Well…, sort of. While the title features the words, “The Return,” the current season is numbered as season 15 of Good Eats. It’s a bit confusing, but OK.

Alton hit the ground running by showing viewers his take on, the Italian/American classic, Chicken Parmesan.  From the kitchen diehard fans remember, and utilizing guest players such as Vickie Eng as “W” (an allusion to 007’s gadgeteer Q), he demonstrates how to prepare the dish using two kinds of cheese.  He also explains how to disperse the sauce without making the chicken soggy.  I could’ve watched him prepare food like that all night.

Then the second episode aired, in which he prepared dishes using quinoa and chia seeds.

I need to interrupt this blog to confess my prejudice against quinoa.  Not only have I never had a quinoa I liked, but for a three-year stretch, every food blogger I know, including my favorite cheese blogger, rode the quinoa recipe bandwagon.  Thus, I’m pretty quinoaed out.

While I wasn’t a fan of the subject matter, Brown was true to form delivering tidbits of 17th century history and humorous quips.  I did find more interest in the second half of the episode, when he turned chia seeds into a breakfast pudding.  The idea of a healthy chocolate pudding makes me happy.

All in all, I’m very happy to see Alton Brown back in the culinary instructional saddle, instead of wasting his talents on mindless clap-trap like Cutthroat Kitchen.  Personally, I’d prefer to see one episode per week, instead of two, so the seasons will last longer, but that's a little thing.

Episodes 3 & 4 air tonight at 10:00 pm on Food Network.  Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment