Thursday, September 12, 2019

Has Sonic Hit A Home Run In The Cheesesteak Game?

-
I love a good Philly Cheesesteak sandwich, so when I heard Sonic Drive-Ins added one to their menu I went to my local Sonic (7380 NE Butler Street in Hillsboro, Oregon) to check it out.

| Subject: Sonic’s Cheesesteak |
| Date: 08/27/2019 |
| Photographers: James Kiester & Dani Cogswell |
Consisting of grilled steak, caramelized onions, cheese sauce, and mayonnaise all atop a soft warm hotdog bun, Sonic’s sandwich is reminiscent of a cheesesteak from Pat’s, “wit wiz,” rather than a Provolone topped sandwich from Geno’s.

One of Sonic’s, “Carhop Specials,” includes a six-inch cheesesteak & medium sized tots for $2.29. However, I ordered the foot-long bad boy for $4.49 and paid extra for my fries.

Right off the bat, I was impressed with the bun. It was soft, but sturdy enough to support the weight of the filling without falling apart. As for the filling, the sandwich contained a generous helping of thin strips of beef. I’d have preferred a medium rare cook on the meat, but being a chain restaurant, they served the meat well done to ensure safety. As a result though, the meat was savory but a bit tough.

The onions were cooked until translucent, and delivered a sweet flavor with a nice kicking of onion heat on the finish. The majority of the flavor came from the wonderfully salty robust chemicals sauce. The sauce also brought enough moisture to the party that the mayonnaise was redundant.

All things considered; Sonic Drive-in is serving a decent Philly Cheesesteak sandwich for a fast food restaurant. I’d give it a solid 8 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment