Sunday, October 27, 2019

Seasons Eatings Revisited

-
I’d finished writing the following blog before I realized I’d written a similar blog, on the same topic, four years ago. Nevertheless, some things deserve to be addressed again, especially when they keep coming up in conversation.
-
BBQ for Summer, Hearty Pastrami Sandwich for Fall,
Smothered Pancakes for Winter, Baked Eggs Florentine for Spring | 
All pictures taken by James Kiester & Dani Cogswell |
If you have read this blog for any length of time, you've seen my best friend’s name credited for many of the photographs I’ve used here. While we’re as close as two platonic friends can be, we don’t always agree.

We were watching Pioneer Woman make a hearty stew, and I commented that it would be a good dish for fall. She floored me when she said there was no such thing as seasonal food. She’d eat anything she liked any time of year.

Granted, no matter what the calendar says, I’m not going to turn down a medium rare steak or a double cheeseburger. However, I do find myself gravitating toward some foods over others, depending upon the time of year.

Spring – I tend to lean toward fresh greens, salads, and light crisp white wines.
Summer – I want fair/ball park foods. Hotdogs, ice cream, and garlic fries all washed down with a easy drinking pilsner or lager are on my checklist.
Fall – Now is the time for rich stews and soups, stuffed turkeys, and smoked meats & cheeses alongside bold red wines and stouts.
Winter – The line between fall and winter foods blurs for me. I find myself wanting many of the same cold weather foods during winter that I wanted in autumn. However, during Christmas I want my nut covered cheese ball and standing rib roast washed down with plenty of eggnog and/or mulled wine.

Of course, these are very generalized examples in order to illustrate a much broader rule of thumb. I’m sure you can think of a myriad of other dishes which you only crave during certain times of the year.

Leave a comment with some of your favorite seasonal dishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment