Monday, June 4, 2018

McDonald's Fresh Beef Double Quarter Pounder - A Review

-

| Subject: McDonald's Fresh Beef Quarter Pounder |
| Date: 06/01/2018 | Photographers: James Kiester & Dani Cogswell |


Before I begin, I must point out that I am no photographer.  When I took a photo of the burger. I really thought I got a good angle to show the thick beef patties, melting cheese, and toppings. When I got home, I realized I only got a good photo of a hamburger bun. which doesn't do you a lot of good, but there it is.

I had read about McDonald's inclusion of "fresh beef" in their Quarter Pounder and Double Quarter Pounder. I initially wrote it off as an advertising gimmick. I figured it would be no different than their normal burgers, but their Quarter Pounder would sell big for awhile because of the hype. Thus, I was going to do a review in order to prove that the emperor was, in fact, naked.

There are two kinds of burger joints. There are restaurants who are known for their beef and there are ones who use the beef as a platform for their toppings. McDonald's has always struck me as a restaurant in the latter category. They are known for serving flat little hockey pucks with a variety of toppings on them. I did not expect this burger to be anything else.

I was hungry, so I ordered the Double Quarter Pounder with cheese. It came with the standard pickle, onion, ketchup, and yellow mustard. To my surprise I found two thick patties of hot succulent well-seasoned beef. What surprised me even more was the fact that they were medium-rare. Fast-food restaurants are known for serving well-done, even overcooked, beef, but this burger was medium-rare with just a little pink in the middle.

There was nothing bad to say about the Double Quarter Pounder. I have to give it 10/10 stars. I'm as shocked as you are.

I do have a question though.  If McDonald's can use quality beef for their Quarter Pounders, why, oh why, aren't they using it for all of their burgers? If you order the Quarter Pounder, you can have the good beef, if you order the Big Mac, you can get two hockey pucks on a bun. What's with that?

One last note:
I like burgers medium-rare, as a lot of people do.  Cooking hamburger to medium-rare keeps the juices in.  When you take a bite, those juices circulate throughout your mouth delivering flavor to more parts of your mouth.  However, some people feels sketchy about burgers that are pink in the middle.  The color brings news reports of E-Coli, and other nasties, to the forefront of their minds.  If you belong to the latter category you may want to let them when you order, so you can get yours well-done.

No comments:

Post a Comment