Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Butter Basting Makes Fried Eggs Better

-
On Quora.com, someone asked me how to make “the perfect fried egg.” The question was well timed, since I’d discovered basted eggs the day before. They're easier than over-easy eggs, and they leave the yolk nice & runny for toast.

The following recipe has been modified from another one I found. The author of the original recipe, whoever that was, called for Kosher salt specifically. As far as I'm concerned though, you can use any salt you have on hand; table salt, garlic salt, Himalayan pink volcanic salt if you happen to have some of that lying around. As for me, I used just good old table salt.
-
Basted Eggs Recipe
I only wanted one egg, but used the same 2 Tablespoons of 
butter.  My egg's  yolk was mistakenly basted enough to
form that white film over the yolk.  If the yolk
had been constantly basted the yolk would've
overcooked, but luckily it was still perfectly
soft and runny inside.


Ingredients:
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 large eggs
Salt & black pepper to taste
Favorite hot sauce (optional)

Procedure:
Melt 2 Tbsp of unsalted butter in a medium nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. When the butter foams, add 2 eggs. As the eggs cook, carefully tip the pan toward you so that the butter puddles towards the edge, then use a spoon to baste the hot butter over the egg whites. I like the yolks to be soft and runny, so I avoid basting the egg yolks. If you like a firmer more set egg yolk, then go ahead and spoon butter over the yolk too. Baste in this manner until the whites have no jiggle to them (2 to 3 minutes).

Use a spatula to transfer the eggs to a plate, leaving the butter behind. Season the eggs with pinches of salt, pepper, and/or hot sauce (I prefer Cholula). Place the pan back on the stove over medium heat and continue to cook the butter until it becomes deeply golden and nutty-smelling, about 2 minutes more. Pour the browned butter over the eggs.
-
Not only will you get a perfect golden round runny yolk, but the butter will give the eggs a deeper richer flavor. Of course, you can garnish them with parsley, cilantro, dill, any herb really. Honestly though, the only garnish I need is two strips of bacon and a piece of toast.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment