Monday, June 8, 2020

KFC Reenters The Crispy French Fry Game

-
When I was in high school, Kentucky Fried Chicken sold crispy shoestring French fries.  They were salty, crispy, and you could even see patches of delicious golden batter clinging to their yellow exterior.  I loved those fries!  Then... one day... without warning (there was no internet in 1985)... they were gone.  Some sadist had replaced them with heavy jojos.

I forgot to take a picture of them, so
thank Heaven for KFC's online press kit.
THEY'RE BACK!!! After 35 years, KFC has put one of my favorite fast food sides back on their menu.  The moment I heard the news I had Grubhub rush me an order from my local KFC at 18735 S.W. Tualatin Valley Hwy., in Aloha, Oregon.  A small order is $2.99 and a large is $4.99.  I got a small order with my chicken. 

They arrived hot.  When I first opened the sack, my nose was instantly teased with the familiar savory aroma fast food patrons have come to know.  At first glance, they were slightly shorter than McDonald's fries, but sporting patches of the golden batter I remembered from my youth.  

As for the taste, most of the fries were crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.  Sadly, a few of them, 4 or 5, were rock-hard as if they were stale.  The stale ones made me sad, but the rest were tasty enough that I enjoyed my meal.

Even though there were a few duds in the bunch, I'm still glad they're back even if I can only award them 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment