Thursday, December 1, 2022

The Steak Butter Bacon Cheeseburger Delivers a Sonic Boom of Flavor


Being the holidays, I've been watching my money closely so I can spread as much Christmas joy as possible.  However, after seeing multiple advertisements for Sonic's newest limited time offering, I finally had to have one.  Thus, I logged onto Grubhub and ordered the burger, cheese fries, and a drink from my local Sonic Drive-In at 7380 NE Butler Road in Hillsboro, Oregon.
| Subject: Steak Butter Bacon Cheeseburger | Date: 11/30/2022 |
| Photographers: Wondwossen Tekle & James Kiester |
| Permissions: This picture was taken for this blog |
The Steak Butter Bacon Cheeseburger consists of a beef patty basted with butter which has been made savory with steakhouse seasonings, two slices of American Cheese, bacon, grilled onions, and mayonnaise all served on a toasted bakery bun for $8.27.

When I unwrapped it, it looked pretty much like any fast-food burger; meat, cheese, bun; meh.  Yet, looks can be deceptive. 

Usually, when a hamburger chain lists multiple toppings for a new burger you can taste one or two of them and the others just sit there without pulling their weight.  It wasn't the case here.  As I ate, I could taste the crispy salty bacon.  The equally crispy grilled onions were sweet with just enough onion heat to add flavor without being overpowering.  Bringing up the rear, the mayonnaise and double dose of American Cheese provided balance to the sandwich by bringing two distinct kinds of creaminess to the party. 

My biggest pet peeve with fast-food burgers is, more times than not, all the flavor comes from the toppings and meat is merely a bland over-cooked platform for those toppings.  The Steak Butter Bacon Cheeseburger avoided that pitfall.  The seasoned butter added a savory spiciness to the patty, allowing the beef itself to contribute to the harmonious orchestra of flavors. 

Sonic's official description of the Steak Butter Bacon Cheeseburger mentions a "toasted bun."  If the bun had been toasted, it had only been very lightly toasted as to be imperceptible.  Although I can't imagine how such a bun could have made this burger better, the fact that they mentioned a toasted bun, which the sandwich didn't really deliver, is the only thing that keeps me from awarding this burger my top score.  Still, 9 out of 10 stars isn't bad at all.

1 comment:

  1. Sonic has never been my favorite fast food place but this sounds amazing!

    ~Alizabeth

    ReplyDelete