Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Fonzy Melon - Micro Blog

-
 photo snow4.jpg
Title: Fonzy Melon | Date: 05/27/2014 | Photographers: James Kiester & Dani Cogswell |
This picture was taken by the author of this blog.
Yesterday, the produce section at New Seasons (a North West version of Whole Foods) was featuring something called a Fonzy Melon labeled with a tongue-in-cheek sign reading, "Approved by Henry Winkler."  Partly for reasons of nostalgia, yes I had a Happy Days lunch box, I added a melon to my cart.

When I got home, I tried to research the origin and history of my find online.  I found some growing instructions, and a few brief tasting notes from fellow food bloggers, but nothing to indicate which fruits were spliced to create the melon, or how it got its name.

Nevertheless, I cut open the round pumpkin-orange Fonzy Melon, which is about the size of a Honeydew, for breakfast  this morning.  Inside was a juicy white semi-firm fruit flesh surround a core of seeds.  The flavor tasted like a cross between a Bartlet Pear and a Muskmelon (Cantaloupe), which may, or may not, be a clue to its breeding.

In any case, the Fonzy Melon offers a distinctive flavor, and can be used as one would use any small melon.
-

5 comments:

  1. I tried my first Fonzy melon this morning. My husband thought it had an apple taste, but I think you are right with pear. I too hit Google for some history and found a couple of blogs, yours being one. I don't know where you are located, but the one we had in Arizona is the same brand "Heaven's Best". It says it is a grown in Mexico, but big surprise, most of our vegetables are! If I can find anymore information, I will post it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mexico makes sense since melons grow best in heat. I'm in Oregon, the same company must ship nation wide.

      Delete
  2. I just bought one at Sprouts in Las Vegas on Thursday. Same brand. I really enjoyed it. I've been eating a lot of cantaloupe lately as it's a good source of potassium, which I need more of. I tried this just as an alternative to all the cantaloupe--loved it! I will buy this melon again if available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried it for the first time the other day at work and it was delicious

    ReplyDelete