Saturday, July 13, 2019

Is Burger King The Taco King Too?

-

Recently, I wrote a review of a local $1 taco deal.  Practically as soon as I posted the piece, Burger King introduced a $1 taco of their own, for a limited time.   Intrigued by they're timing as much as anything, I visited my local Burger King at 18975 SW Tualatin Valley Hwy. in Aloha, Oregon.

| Subject: Burger King’s $1 Crispy Tacos |
| Date: 07/12/2019 | Photographers: James Kiester & Bonnie Kiester |
Burger King has a single variety of taco, Crunchy Beef, which consists of seasoned ground beef, shredded iceberg lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, and savory taco sauceon a crispy-ish taco shell.  Except for the shredded cheddar replacing the slice of American Cheese, it’s a visual clone of a Jack In The Box taco.  It pretty much eats like one too.

The moisture from the seasoned beef and sauce makes the filled part of the shell pliable and somewhat greasy while leaving the edges perfectly crisp and crunchy.  While some in my party were put off by the dual texture of the shell, I didn’t mind it since it prevented the taco from crumbling upon taking a bite.  In fact, it held together better than many hard-shell tacos I’ve eaten, or tried to eat.

As for the taste, the seasoned beef and sauce made for a pleasantly spicy bite.  It wasn’t tongue searingly hot by any means, but there was enough spice to make it enjoyable.  The lettuce provided a cool crisp countenance to the warm peppery aspects of the dish.  Yet, while I love cheese, the few shreds of cheddar Burger King graced my taco with may as well have been absent, since it added nothing to the flavor or texture of the taco.

All things considered, Burger King is selling a good taco for a buck.  It’s not a great taco, but it’s a good taco.  I give Burger King’s Tacos a solid 7 out of 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment