Tuesday, August 9, 2022

What There Is to Love About "Fried Egg - I'm In Love"

Well, I'm back, yes again.  I'd just got the proverbial stone rolling again when I became delirious with fever.  After spending six weeks in the hospital and two weeks settling into my new place, a good friend of mine took me downtown for some badly needed R&R.
| Subject: Fried Egg: I'm in Love food cart, | Date: 08/06/2021 |
| Photographers: James Kiester & Shelby Hester | 
| Permissions: This picture was taken for use on this blog." |
Click image for a larger view of their menu.
We took the MAX (Portland's commuter train) to the city, arriving at Pioneer Courthouse Square at 10:30am.  The Square is a brick courtyard in the heart of the city.  Nicknamed, "Portland's living room," the brick amphitheater hosts a variety of concerts, festivals, and exhibitions.  In fact, the day we were there, an exhibit of Chinese culture was underway complete with tanggu drums and ceremonial dancers.  However, that's not why we were there.

Above the square on one side are rows of food carts.  At the end of the top row, adjacent to the square's Starbuck's, sits a bright yellow food cart labeled, "Fried Egg - I'm In Love."  My friend, Shelby, had eaten from the cart before and insisted that I'd love it, enticing me with the claim, "the yolks on the fried egg sandwiches are runny." 

| Subject: Yolko Ono sandwich |
| Date: 08/06/2021 |
| Photographers: James Kiester & Shelby Hester |
| Permissions: Picture taken for this blog." |
My one complaint about popular fast-food egg sandwiches is that the yolks are cooked so hard that it doesn't taste like an egg.  For me, much of the flavor of an egg comes from the soft runny yolk.  Thus, I was intrigued. 

By the time we arrived, the line was a good thirty people deep.  I held our place in line while Shelby bought us drinks at Starbuck's.  Then, she held our spot while I found us a table or bench where we could eat.  Thirty minutes after getting in line, we were able to order at which time we were told our food would be ready in thirty minutes.  I saw one man give up his place in line, without ordering. 

All their sandwiches come on toasted sour dough bread and contain a fried egg.  I had the "Yolko Ono," consisting of; the aforementioned fried egg, homemade pesto, parmesan, and a hand-pressed house sausage patty; on two slices of the equally aforementioned sour dough toast for $8.00. 

I know, it looks like one of Sonic's sour dough burgers.  That's where the similarity ends.  The first thing I noticed, upon biting, was the crunch of toast followed quickly by the earthy spiciness of the pesto.  As I continued to eat, the sausage and the parmesan brought pleasant savory flavors to the party.  As for the egg, it was cooked over-medium.  Thus, the yolk wasn't runny per se.  However, the yolk was soft enough to be flavorful. 

Being a vegetarian, Shelby ordered the "Free Range Against the Machine" which features; avocado, tomato, and Havarti cheese; in addition to the egg and toast slices for $6.75.  Shelby had them add the "Aardvark Aioli" for $1.25 bringing the price of her order equal to mine, at $8.00.

I tried a bite of hers.  I instantly got hit with a powerful kick of spiciness from the aioli, much spicier than my pesto.  Yet, the sweetness of the tomato and richness of the avocado still came through providing a welcome balance. 

I do think they could streamline things to keep the line moving.  From the time I got in line, it took me an hour to get my food.  Perhaps having someone giving paper menus to, and taking orders from, people in line would speed things along.

I was favorably impressed by "Fried Egg - I'm In Love's" food.  Both sandwiches deserve 8.5 out of 10 stars.  Their serving process needs work.  Still..., if you're not in a hurry, one of these sandwiches makes a pretty filling breakfast. 



Bonus Review:
| Subject: Punch Bowl Social's sign |
| Date: 08/06/2021 | Photographers: James Kiester & Shelby Hester |
| Permissions: This picture was taken for use on this blog." |

It was sunny and warm, so we decided to do some shopping.  After a few hours we decided to see Thor 4.  Since we had some time to kill before the movie, and since there was a bar one floor down from the theater, we figured a libation was in order.  

Punch Bowl Social is a bar and restaurant occupying the entire third floor of Pioneer Place Mall's southeast wing.  When we arrived, around 3pm, the massive establishment had, maybe, a dozen customers.  I ordered a regular lime Margarita and Shelby ordered a strawberry Margarita.  10 minutes later, our drinks arrived.  To be fair, mine was tinted green and hers was tinted pink.  However, those were the last hints of limes or strawberries to be found.  Both our drinks tasted like watered down tequila on the rocks.  The manager did graciously take one drink off our bill, so we got out of there only having to pay $10.  I'll never go back.  I have to give Punch Bowl Social 2 out of 10 stars.  I only gave them a 2, instead of a 1 because I like their smiles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment